Monday, April 13, 2009

A get away to The Netherlands

We have some really sweet and wonderful friends, the MacDonalds. They insisted that we take a long weekend away and leave our kids with them. The kids begged us to agree, and so, we did.


We headed to The Netherlands, a.k.a. Holland.


We had not been on a real vacation without the kids ever--I know we came out to Italy to house-hunt, but that was a loaded trip with jet lag, too much purpose, and reality. This was all hand-holding, garden-strolling, cheese-tasting, windmill-charming, wooden-shoe-pondering, museum-lingering, canal-cruising, enjoyment.

I went to enjoy the tulips at the Keukenhof gardens and windmills, and I sure did. It was so charming and beautiful. However, I was also pleasantly surprised by Amsterdam.


We visited the Rijksmuseum, full of famous originals by Rembrandt, Vermeer, and others--I just allowed myself to soak it each beautiful painting. There was the most angelic-sounding accapella choir performing there that day and I left that museum feeling much edified in the arts.

The next day we visited the Anne Frank house. Wow. I had read her diary in school, but will certainly be re-visiting it soon with my boys. It was overwhelming to ponder all the events in the last few years of her life--to walk through the rooms where she and her family lived for 2 years before they were discovered. We saw a filmed interview with her father about when he read her diary for the first time--he was the only survivor of his family. I got that ache in my throat and tears filled my eyes as I listened to him speaking about his child.
There was a quote on the wall as we left which reminded us that we mourn more for this one little girl than for the thousands like her who were victims in this aweful ordeal but that it may be better that way, because if we could really know each individual face and story it would be too devastating (not the exact quote, but you get the idea). David and I were both deeply moved by this experience.

We drove to Den Haag (government city) and passed some neat buildings, though my favorite part of the drive was when we turned into some random neighborhoods and just drove by the charming houses. Many of them have the old-fashioned reed roofs, so sweet-looking.

It was a wonderful time. We are so appreciative of Angie and Bob for offering to watch the boys so we could do it--the boys felt that they were also on vacation. When I asked Gabe, "What was the funnest thing you did at Angie's house?" he responded, "I don't know cause it was all so fun!"
Isaac did better for her than he does for me. I'm so glad things were good on their end, because it was a great time for David and me!












8 comments:

jenifer said...

ohhh. sOOO fun! I'm so proud of you for leaving your kids and venturing out... hope you got something wonderful for your bookshelf. ("Yeah, that's from our trip to Holland.") hee hee.

Rebekah said...

Hey, does anybody know what we can do to make it so you can click-to-enlarge our pictures? I don't know what happened, but it doesn't work anymore. Ideas?

Deborah and Stephen said...

I don't have any ideas for you but I would like to say that I am so glad that you and David got to go! you r pictures are beautiful! so fun to do a couple trip you and your hunny! so cute and fabulous!

Josh said...

i have been wondering why your pictures can't be 'clicked' any more. i will have an answer for you shortly.

wow, what a cool trip. just what you need at this point in your life is a good trip alone with your husband sans kids!! lucky!

Yayi said...

Sweet sister of mine, that sounds like a dream-come-true-vacation. I am absolutely happy for you two!!! it must have been absolutely fun to see all those wonderful sites with your honey by your side. Just one little and inocent comment...I hope you are pregnant!!! it would be the best way to remember this wonderful time!!!

Leslie said...

Wow! What a dream for you!! I am SO glad that you are blessed with dear friends that love you and your children. Oh...what a wonderful thrill it must have been to be ALONE with your sweetheart for this once in a lifetime trip! SO happy for yoU!

Rachel Ure said...

those pictures are great! I took a breath of fresh air looking at those flowers. How fun to see pics of just you two!

Dinger said...

You are still an ultimate BABE!!!! Dan and I do our first trip alone this coming June. I can't wait. It looks like you had a great time, soooooo beautiful.