Saturday, May 16, 2009

COLORS!

The world is turning summer--which I don't really love, And everything is becoming colorful--
I love color!


I think green is one of the greatest colors and so this year for my annual mother's day family photo we did it in front of the grape-vines on the side of our house (the neighbor's grass and potato plants are in the ground behind that). We didn't have a photographer that day, just a timer, so the pictures weren't perfect, but still fun with lots of pretty green!



Although all my men love pretty flowers, they aren't nearly as important as an afternoon practicing their volleyball technique--David is loving the boys loving volleyball, and they really do. I love to watch them play, especially when I can see one of my all-time favorite colors in the background. Check out the red roses. . .. . .and the yellow roses. I can't take credit for any of these, and probably wouldn't be one to try and grow roses all around my yard, but it is fun to see the large blooms of color!!


Even Isaac can appreciate these big dark pink petals. Of course, he spent most of his time ripping them to shreds, but I didn't stop his pleasurful task. The lawn ended up with sweet pink, yellow and white petal confetti, as did the cat.

Every day holds challenges (whether it's planning my lesson for Relief Society in Italian--new calling; doing chores without complaining--this can apply to Eli, Adam, Gabriel, and mom; or being a 17 month old who really wants to give your 4 year old brother a ride in the grass on a large toy dump truck). I am so grateful for the beauty that color (like these yellow, pink, and orange flowers) adds to my life and how it can make those challenges all melt away for awhile.


. . .

So, how do I feel about the color GOLD? In jewelry it can be lovely, or pictured in a pot at the end of the rainbow--thrilling, but as a pair of 8 year old boy's shoes?!!

Yes, it was time to buy some new shoes for Adam. We went to a local store. Eli had his shoe graph chart in hand to keep him busy, and Gabe pushed Isaac in the stroller, while I "helped" Adam chose. These were the ones:

I tried not to interfere too much in the decision, though the words, "are you sure that is what you want?" left my mouth more than once. I decided that since we are in Italy and there really isn't anyone to mock (except for David and me and we are striving to supress). . . we may as well go for it! When Eli finally joined us again at the store and saw the shoes he exclaimed, "I've never had gold shoes! Adam is always the lucky one!" Okie-dokie then!

I have gotten more pleasure out of this golden purchase than I would have thought. How can one help but smile when they look at these and the obvious pride of their owner?!

8 comments:

jenifer said...

cute pictures!! LOVE all the colors...

Von and Maureen said...

I have been there when the beautiful roses were blooming and the grape vines and everything is green. I loved it! It was starting to get a bit warm there about this time too if I remember. By the way, I think the gold shoes are awesome. Last year, he always wore the blue crocs and nothing else :). Gotta love him. Mom

Rachel Ure said...

it took a while for the picture of the shoes to come up and i was picturing them like ALL golden! So, when i finally saw the real thing they weren't at all shocking. It kinda reminds me of the phase dan went through where he wore a very golden strechy material t shirt almost everyday ( he first wore it in a play.) All your pictures are just wonderful. don't know how i feel about the rose demolishing- but i definityl think rose pedals everywehere sounds breath taking!

Josh said...

those pictures are soooo Becky!! (when they aren't her kids tipping over ancient ruins....great post becks.

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Great post. Jake and I just finished getting the last of the garden planted today and I too was very aware of the bright colors that occur in nature. I love the family picture. It turned out great! Also, Adam knows a good shoe when he sees it. Mostly I think this because he complimented me on having great shoes many years ago while walking down the chapel hallway together. So, yea, he must know what he's talking about:)

Dinger said...

I love the family picture and all of the others too. I just got a new camera and am hoping my pictures come out as good as yours. Cute post, I love the colors of summer.

Leslie said...

This post brought me great joy! I am smiling from ear to ear. I loved seeing your beautiful property in the pictures. And really....the GOLD shoes scream...ITALY to me! I would buy a pair for myself if they made them in my size. They don't sell cute shoes like that at the Wal~Mart here in Texas so I guess I am outta luck!

Kristi said...

HI. This is Kristi--David's cousin. I just have to say that I love your family clown photo on your page. It is great! And you are looking really good. I love your mother's day photo. It is fun to see what you are up to--and I REALLY admire you for living in Italy and learning a new language. I have a blog too and it is kristiandterry.blogspot.com--just in case you were ever interested.