Sunday, October 18, 2009

Life back to normal?

Okay, it always takes me a little while to get back into the swing of things after visiting family in the states. But this time, it is just a bit crazy.
There have been some interesting things to alter the speed of transition, like:


#1--an injured David, trying to recover from the 4-wheeler accident on the dunes in Idaho. This is a true trial for him (and me). He broke 3 ribs, cracked his sternum, cracked his pelvis and bruised a lung--all recoverable, but painful. He has never been incapable of helping with so many of the everyday things in our lives, nor has he ever been in significant pain for a long period of time. He is trying to be patient and let things heal, but doesn't enjoy this more inactive life-style.

(this is a picture of where David went over--look close and you can see 2 little tire prints, against the sky, on the top of the hill)

He still hasn't gone into work, but has been working at home on the computer and on the phone. We try to be quiet during his business calls, but even when he is shut away in a remote room, voices carry! It's all about humility this fall, eh David?

#2--my closest friend here, Angie MacDonald, moved back to the states just a week after our return. She has been a saving-grace for me here in Italy. We will really miss our long, fun Miss Angie and Kenny days. The MacDonald's became family, so we will see more of them, but we miss them.

#3--a pregnant Rebekah. Okay, so we've done this before, but never without Daddy coming home most evenings and taking over so mom can run to the toilet and then to bed. And never with an Isaac--he makes things interesting (kind of like an Eli, but with more night-time sleep issues).


(Isaac loves to play in the bidet!)

We are excited for our new addition--all the males in the family are hoping for a baby girl, so mom has decided to root for the underdog and talk up another boy!


Thank heavens for pretty good little boys. They have jumped right back into life as they know it, full of toy animals, home-made games, wrestling, and hours spent in the huge field of dirt!




I have to say that I don't know what we would do without Eli right now. He has proven to be the greatest of helps with Isaac, most appreciated when mom just needs a rest. Isaac loves him and often wakes up asking where Eli is, "Li? (lie) Li? Li?. . .Li!!!"
(David and I always end up singing, "Li, li, li..pom...li, li, li, li, la-li, li, li ... li, li, li...pom...li, li, li, li, li, li, li, la-la-la-la-li". You may not recognize this without the melody, but it is a great part of one of the great Simon and Garfunkel songs).

Anyway, I've just made my life sound rotten, but we are doing pretty well, all said. As I wrote this, I have easily seen the flip-side of these "trials":
#1--I have had the opportunity to recognize all that David really does for me on a daily basis in his usual, very capable, state.
#2--In Angie MacDonald I have made a life-long friend--the kind that really does only come around very seldomly, and my kids have earned a sort of 3rd grandmother (she spoiled them rotten).
#3--I am hopefully going to have the chance to see another one of Heavenly Father's spirits join our home--always wonderful and interesting! I have seen my boys' sheer joy at the thought of having another brother or sister. When we told them Iwas pregnant, they just kept saying, "Is it really true?" and Eli said, in the sweetest, most tender manner, "I always knew I wanted another brother or sister, but I am just so glad!!"
Life sure is great for stories, and that is what I like the most--good stories to tell.

5 comments:

jenifer said...

sweet, sweet pictures. and, it didn't sound like you were complaining-- even in the top part.
and, i think isaac looks like YOU!! for sure!! especially you as a baby.
cute, cute.
and, my vote is GIRL.

Rachel Ure said...

what a load on your plate right now!!!!i will send my prayers up for your sweet family!

Yayi said...

Ciao ragazza!! it's ok to be "not as happy as usual." However, I have always loved how enthusiastic and loving you are!!!
I am glad your other half is feeling better! tell him we love him, please!
About the baby...I would love to say it's a girl, but...if it's another boy it will be wonderful too!!! so, ask your boys to kiss "whoever" is in your tummy and tell him/her aunt Gaby already loves him/her!!!
Love to all of you from cold Michigan!

Karly and Nick said...

Congratulations on #5! WOW! I will root for a boy too. That is what I hope to have next too...when I get pregnant. I am not announcing anything! It has been so long since we have talked..one of these days!

Dinger said...

Hooray! Hooray! I am so excited for you and your family. Another boy would be so great, but a girl would definately get spoiled rotten from her brothers! How fun! Once again, I love the pictures. Good luck with everything. I recall one summer when my dad broke both of his arms, we were all miserable! Hope your husband recovers quick!!! Miss you.