Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Incomparable Grandpa Von

Happy Birthday, Dad!

We just recently got back from our yearly visit to the states--a chance to make more memories to live on throughout the year!
Our time was very short with the Callister clan, and my kids were very bummed to have to leave without more adventures with cousins and GRANDPA VON!

Most grandpas are wonderful, but there has always been something extra special about Grandpa Von. He has energy and an adventurous spirit, which helps make him fun, but he also has such a a sweet and thoughtful way. My boys all adore him.

Eli got to live in the same house with Grandpa Von for the first 8 months of his life, and has been hooked ever since--though he has always lived at least 2,000 miles away. Adam and Gabe were won over quickly, and Isaac is following in the grandpa-von-fan-club tradition.

It is easy for me to see why my children adore him, since I have my whole life!
But I thought that I would share a couple of examples of the sweet man that my dad is, and how he stays strong in their hearts and thoughts, even from thousands of miles away.
My dad works for Wells Fargo bank and so my kids have Wells Fargo wagon banks and wallets (we love to sing The Wells Fargo Wagon Is A-comin' Down the Street, from The Music Man).
Well, this year, he sent us a Wells Fargo Calendar. Each page has a couple of Cowboys driving the Wells Fargo Wagon pulled by a large team of horses through different scenery. It is fun on its own, but my dad took it a step further and added words to each image-- drivers exclaiming, horses talking, aliens or bigfoot or a hidden person in the distance making some simple little remark. He uses at least one of the boys' name on each page and they love it! I just have to smile as I picture him at the kitchen table with this calendar in front of him thinking up what to write.

*In case you can't read what he wrote here--the man next to the driver is saying, "Adam, please slow down, you are scaring me!" and one of the horses asks the other, "Why do we have these things over our eyes? I can't see you. Can you see me? Maybe they don't want us visiting with each other."

The other thing that he is good about doing at least a couple times a year is sending notes to my boys in the mail. They love to get the letters from Grandpa Von and read the individual letter to them. So far it has always been written on a notepad stating:
From the desk of ..... Von (though he has added Grandpa on top of the Von)

I keep these notes for the boys and know that they will always be a special reminder of their Grandpa and how he was willing to take time to think of each of them specifically.
These are just a couple examples of my sweet Dad. My heart is so warmed and grateful when I hear my kids praise him. He is a wonderful example of all I dream they will become as men.

My Dad drove to the airport with us when we were heading back to Italy, in case we needed extra help (David was hurt while we were in the states and I thought I might need extra help getting to the plane with the boys). Eli rode in Grandpa's car and stayed pretty close to him until we said good-bye at security.
It was so hard for Eli to say good-bye.
I was emotional, but trying to be the strong and collected mother--with 4 little boys and a husband getting wheelchair service, I felt that I needed to look like I was okay.
Eli did his best to be discreet, but he was sobbing. I could hardly look at him because I just wanted to bawl along-side him. Here was my tender-hearted boy leaving his favorite person on this planet (he loves his parents and brothers, but . . .), knowing it would be a long time until they met again. I was grateful for the man who inspired such a strong adoration, even if it made departure extra hard.

Thanks Dad.

4 comments:

Josh said...

Amen to all that! my kids love grandpa von, he is always just stopping by and seeing if he can take them on a little trip to the cabin or, if he can take them on 'work trip' to visit things he needs to look at for work. my kids get such a thrill out of these little trips, (he spoils them). i hear about mcdonalds kids meals and things and think, this is the same dad i grew up with minus the 'extras'

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Thanks for sharing Beck. Nothing makes me sadder than the thought of my kids missing out on years with Grandpa Von. Your kids are very fortunate indeed!

Deborah and Stephen said...

thanks for sharing.. I second what jacob said.. I can't wait to have kids that will adore grandpa.. hold in there dad! :) hehe this brought tears to my eyes reading. we really do have one amazing dad!

Von and Maureen said...

It is so fun being grandpa Von. It has made the last 15 years more meaningful than I expected. What a treat to have 12 grand children to fuss over and to play with. When you children got to where it wasn't cool to run and jump into my arms when I got home from work I thought that was the end to a fun part of my life. Little did I know that the coming of grand children would extend that delightful experience for years to come. We enjoyed having your family here for the time you were able to spend with us. I anticipate each summer's visit and enjoy planning for your arrival. I am glad that the Moss boys think highly of the grandpas. I hope I never let them down and I hope that their parents consider us worthy of their children's admiration. Thank you for the humbling birthday greeting. I am sorry that I wasn't able to share my 62nd birthday with all of you. I am the luckiest grandpa in the world.