Thursday, March 10, 2011

Adam's first 10 years

What?! Adam is turning 10?
I know it is crazy, but . . .it's true!


I have decided that 10 feels like the end of little-boyhood, so I am going to celebrate (mourn) each boy's 10th birthday by reflecting upon his "childhood" (I started this on Eli's 10th birthday April 2009)


I want to include many of Adam's zany, funny, clever little comments--made throughout his life, which I have diligently kept in his own special journal, and which we have read over each year on his birthdays in the past, but . . .I CAN'T FIND THE JOURNAL--keep it in your prayers (it's killing me!).

Therefore, this relfection will have a different feel to it than it otherwise would, but maybe that's not so bad--I'll make his photo book much lighter--after I find the journal!


Presenting: Adam Von Moss
a.k.a. "Adomius Supremius", "A.V.", or "Sweet-and-sour-sauce" Moss


Rebekah's journal, November 4, 2000:

It was wonderful for me to be able to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. I cannot put into words the spirit of joy and excitement that filled me when I heard the proof of the life growing inside of me. As I drove home from the doctor's office, I couldn't keep from crying out of love for this new baby. I was grateful to my Father in Heaven for allowing me to be a part of bringing his spirit children into the world.

November 19, 2000:
It was a beautiful blessing, but as I heard the words David spoke concerning the strength and support I have around me, I knew that the test results would show a problem. He spoke not only of family and friends on earth, but made reference to spirits on the other side who would strengthen me. He got choked up as he became more specific. He said that one who was there and supporting me all the way was the spirit of the baby I am carrying right now. Tears streamed down my face as I thought of that spirit in particular, knowing that I am to be his mother. David said that this individual was happy to know he was coming to a home where he would be taught the gospel and be raised by a father and mother who love their Heavenly Father. . .I was especially comforted because I felt that this baby would be okay . . .



January 29, 2001:

I still really think that I am having a boy. David and I have narrowed the names down to Adam or Isaac. I lean a little more toward Adam and David a little more toward Isaac. I thnk this one will be Adam, but that we will be using Isaac down the road, because I like it, too.


















March 11, 2001, writing about Adam's birth:

Before I knew it, Adam was laying on my stomach. Tears came to my eyes as I looked at this new little member of our family. I was so glad he was here and appeared to be so perfect. He weighed 7 lbs 9oz. and was 20 inches long.

That night I got up with Adam a few times, to feed him. I was glad to be alone with him. I just watched his face and touched his little body as I fed him. I really fell in love with him that night.


May 13, 2001:

David blessed Adam to have a special bond of friendship with Eli; to have a healthy body and mind; to serve a mission; marry in the temple; and to be understanding of his parents as they raise him. I was particularly touched by the first part, which mentioned a friendship between Eli and Adam. I am sure that there will be times when such a friendship may not be as apparent, but Iam certain that they will be close and grow to really appreciate having one another. That is just so neat for me to think about--I am not just having children, I am giving these spirits earthly brothers and sisters.











July 27, 2001:

Adam is a sweet little guy still. He is a bit picky, liking to be held up and facing out whenever he is awake. He already weighs 17.5 pounds (4 months). He is just the most smiley baby, when he is happy. He is often found in his crib, in the morning, with his feet in the air, his hands grabbing at whatever, and bubbles spitting out of his mouth, or cooing loudly. He is also rather ticklish and will laugh the most adorable laugh!







August 29, 2001:
Radiation treatments are done!

It has been a long year and yet, from hindsight, it seems to have gone by fairly quickly. Of course, the greatest moment in it all was March 11, when Adam Von entered our family--for him and his existance, I would do it all again, but thank heavens, I don't have to! :)
December 9, 2001:

David gets such a kick out of the boys and their complete adoration of him. If Adam is awake when David walks in the door, his face just beams and he does all he can to let David know he wants him to hold him (since he can't crawl to him yet this means grunting and slamming his hands down). If David walks in the opposite direction of Adam for even one second, out comes an enormously dejected cry that lasts until he is in Daddy's arms.


January 10, 2002:

Adam's first tooth finally broke through, AND he crawled for the first time. He must have known that if he waited even one day longer he would be 10 months old, and that is just too long to wait for either of those accomplishments! :)


















































October 20, 2002:

I am so glad that Eli has Adam, and that we have Adam. Though Eli can be tough for Adam sometimes, I also already see what a wonderful thing it is for them to have each other to play with and laugh with. Nothing makes Eli happier than when he gets Adam to laugh, and nothing makes Adam happier than laughin with Eli!


December 8, 2002,

After starting treatments again:

Adam is easily loved and has fallen in love with his Grandma Moss. He loves to sit with her and sing with her.

I worried that Adam would have nothing to do with me after my hair was gone. But he has been okay. For the first day he would point at me and with dramatically open mouth, say, "Ahh!" He wasn't afraid, he had found a new game (every time he did it someone would laugh).
























Eli reminded me of this from Adam's childhood:
Eli did something to make Adam upset and Adam said, "You're just a jerk!" I had never heard Adam say that before and so I asked him if he knew what it meant.
Adam replied, with mischeivious grin, "It means, 'I love you, Eli.'"



























May 17, 2004, mom is pregnant with child #3:

Adam was pretty excited when he heard the heart beat. Since he comes to all my Doctor appointments, he was very aware of what it was, and when he heard it he announced to us all, "That's my baby's heartbeat!"


June 1, 2004:
Adam loves to talk about being a big brother. He often says hello to the baby and gives me kisses asking, "Does the baby like kisses?" It will be so fun to see him with this baby.






































August 11, 2005:

I look at my Adam, who just cracks me up, and loves it. I wonder if he will ever decide to stop telling me every morning that he loves me and thinks I am pretty.

I live for his cute compliments and goofy faces.

He is getting so long and thin. I love to pick him up and hug him because he is still not too heavy, but he has those long arms and legs that just wrap around my body, and I feel so engulfed in little boy--I don't know many things that feel better than that!















































































Adam loves to play Madlibs. Some of his favorite words to use are:
noun: poop, pee
body part: bum, armpit hair
verb: poo
adjective: stinky, hairy
liquid: purple liquid of the mind
You get the idea.
He can laugh for hours over some of these combinations. Boys, boys, boys. . .















































































































































Adam's journal May 5, 2009:
My name is Adam and I am 8.
Pasta is my favorite food.
I like to play Stratego.
I will play that now with Eli.
































































































October 10, 2010:
We just got back from church and Sister Rice gave me a bag of gumdrops. Well, I'm very grateful to her.
Well that's just one thing, and I also have a new cousin. Her name is Hannah Maureen, born 10-10-10. Caleb's sister.
10-4.













Poem by Adam, January 20, 2011:
Equal to Each Other
Men so tall and kids so small
Are equal to each other.
Good thing we have
Our Father in Heaven to guide us
And protect us
And make us maybe live
With Him again.
Everyone is equal
Like millions of people.
So much could be written, so much has been left out, but as Adam said to me yesterday:
"An Adam is an Adam, and ya can't change that!"
My reply?
Who would want to?
Thanks for the memories, little boy Adam. I'll miss you, but am excited for the young man you are working toward becoming.
Mom

4 comments:

Yayi said...

Darling boy!! what was your goal writing this down??? make me cry???? you did it!! what an amazing journal you have there!! I am so happy to be related to you guys!! You are a great mother and have awesome guys around you!! Kiss that big boy on my behalf!!

Josh said...

Adam, congratulations on being 10. Caleb is almost there, however i will turn 35 between now and then....hmm.. good thing i am your favorite uncle to make up for it!!

Rachel Ure said...

wow. that was really sweet. He will haev a great book even without all the funny comments ( if you don't find the book)
he truly is adorable and so... adam.

Von and Maureen said...

It brought tears to my eyes to read of your tender moments of child birth and what was really happening. I know 5 boys who are lucky to have David and Becky as their earthly parents.
Thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts into words and then for sharing them with loved ones. Adam, never underestimate the worth of one Adam. Your are the best Adam Von in the world.
Have a good life A.V. you are loved by so many.