Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter and a Deacon

Easter weekend is always great, but this year it was extra special.


We the traditional Saturday morning "spring baskets"--at our house it is more like "Spring- string-which-leads-to-clues-and-a-shared-bag-o-fun"


The boys really look forward to the winding up of the string and finding the sweet clues at the end



(the only candy my poor children get is the chocolate the clue is attached to).





I am in charge of stringing Isaac's and Gabriel's, and David does Adam and Eli. Eli was working on his at least 10 minutes longer than the rest of them--David gave him a nice tour of the nooks and crannies of our house!





Saturday night we did "ressurection cookies", which we have done a few times before. None of us like the cookies much, but it is a nice segway into Sunday and the true Easter message.





Sunday morning we checked out our cookies and watched The Lamb of God.



I made bunny bread that morning in preparation for our Easter dinner and then we headed to 11:30 church.



This would be a very special Easter Sunday since Eli was sustained and ordained as a deacon in the Aaronic priesthood.



He looked so great in his new suit, with the crisp white shirt that David taught him how to iron that weekend.




I am such a sap, I know, but last Sunday Eli gave his final talk in primary. I was there and seriously had tears in my eyes as I looked at that big boy and knew he was moving on.


We had just recently taken this picture of Eli and Isaac, because, for a little while, they were the oldest and youngest in our Bloomfield primary. Aren't they sweet?!



A couple weeks ago Eli had his interview with our bishop, about graduating from primary and about worthiness to hold the priesthood. He even got his first temple recommend (it all makes sense, but I was floored). That sunday was very sweet for me, as I felt my good Eli's great spirit oozing out of him.




When I got home from church that day I tearily wrote the feelings of my heart:




4-10-11 Eli's Sunday





He didn't have a birthday just yet; He didn't get the priesthood, or graduate from primary. But he knows these things are coming, and he is preparing.

Eli had an interview with the Bishop today. He was taken out of his primary class for it, and I think this was significant for him.

When church was over, his glowing and eager face saught mine out from among the mass of parents in the hallway.

A sticker on his shirt to remind us of his talk in sharing-time next week, his scriptures in hand, and that aging, but still boyish face--all handsome and sweet, with a twinge of humble pride. He happily, though meekly, let me know that the bishop had asked him a few of the articles of faith (he knows them all very well). That was his sweet way of letting me know he had had the interview.

I get emotional writing about, and pondering, this. Earlier today it wasn't tears, but a sweet swelling in my heart--a swelling of honor and love for my good and golden-hearted Eli.

He was feeling such joy after that interview. He sat with David and I during a baptism, after church (I let the other kids hang out with treats in a different room, but he didn't ask to go).

Eli held my hand and leaned into me. After a few minutes he said, "Mom, I got my first temple recommend today." He said that the bishop had asked him the questions during his interview.

I wonder if Bishop Sowa feels that same level of joy from very many of those he interviews (the bishop told David that Eli presented himself well and he could tell that he was well-educated!!:)).

Eli was oozing contentment--the knowledge that he was making the choices he knew would be so pleasing to his parents, to God, and for himself.

I listened to this lover-of-singing as he tried to figure out how to best sing the melody to "I am a Child of God". His voice isn't comfortable up high anymore, but isn't quite low enough for the octive lower. :(

After the song he laid his head on my shoulder. A rush of love just filled my heart in that moment. What an honor to be the mother of this energetic and sweet boy.

I wish I could put into words the feelings of my heart for my Eli; My first born, curious, physical, adorable boy.

I can't believe he is 12, and yet, it fits him well.

He belongs up there with those boys, passing the sacrament. He is nervous about doing it, because he doesn't want to make a mistake or be the center of attention, but he will fulfill his duty well.

He has such a natural desire to do good.

He is growing, but staying young in all the right ways.

He isn't perfect, of course, but today I witnessed his pure goodness--that which is in his heart.

I believe I connected right with his spirit and know more certainly of his great potential.

Heavenly Father surely sent us one of his elect spirits in this boy. And with that reminder, hopefully I will be able to mother him with greater patience and insight.

I want him to be, and see in himself, what I touched today.

There are many challenges ahead, and a scarey/harsh world waiting this great boy. He will find his weaknesses, which will be frustrating for him, but I know his strengths are powerful, and he will be able to overcome.

I just love this talkative, creative, active, boy--I can't believe he is trying to become a man!:)

Eli carefully dresses and fixes his hair each Sunday. He doesn't do it for the girls, just yet, he does it because he knows it is good--it is what his Dad does. He tucks in his white shirt, ties his tie neatly, puts on his belt and nice black shoes (he doesn't want brown or anything casual-looking at all), he gels his hair (asking mom to help make it look just right).

If all this is done well before church time, then he plops down and creates worlds on the floor with blocks or cards (he made up a solar system game with rook cards this morning).

Eli just came down the stairs singing, "My name is Eli, and I'll be a deacon on Easter Sunday!" (Easter is April 24th this year).



Oh, my great-and-powerful-boy!





After church the Treadwell family came over and we did Easter dinner together. What a sweet blessing to have friends that feel like family! (and, yes, Isaac was like that all through the afternoon!)







What a great Easter!!!



7 comments:

Rachel Ure said...

love, love love. i can't believe it- but you are right- 12 fits him. I loved your discription of how he is handling this new step in life. I am also glad you have good "family- like" friends that can share with you and love your little family. SO happy for eli and for all of you

Annie and Jake Callister said...

As a fifth year Deacon's quorum advisor, I can safely say that I know 12 and 13 year olds pretty well. I am so excited for Eli to join the world of Young Men's... My first group of guys are starting to go on missions now... whoa... Eli, you are in for some fun years. You will be a great deacon! And a sharp looking one too! Thanks for sharing Becky.

jenifer said...

love you eli!! i can't believe our baby boys are getting so big... (and, i love the Easter picture-- Adam makes me smile!)

ionoigaia said...

How much I miss to be there, with all of you... Eli is so big!!! He'll be a great deacon, I'm sure! I love you all!! Hope to hear soon from you!

Josh said...

Eli, good heavens. Well i am officially old now! how can the little boy who used to try and dig out my eyeballs to see what they looked like be looking soo much like a man! (i think i may need to pull my own eyeballs out and wipe them off and make sure this is not an illusion). congratulations young man. as long as when you see uncle Josh, and some of that 'manliness' goes into hibernation and jump into my arms and want to go excavate some debris from the earths strata and help me determine how old it is....then you are allowed to continue growing at your hearts content... if not...then ....well lets not even go there!!

Yayi said...

I looooooooooove Eli with all my heart!! I miss him a lot and I wish I could give him a big hug and remind him how important he is for me and my family.
Love you big guy!!!

Yayi said...

I love the pic with the 3 of you together!!! I cannot wait to see you guys.