Sunday, January 18, 2009

Always growing!


Here's to wishing there were more hours in the day (hours with entertained big boys and a sleeping 1 year old, of course), so that I could keep on top of all the things I would love to do--like blogging.
I had a first today.
I taught the lesson in Relief Society IN ITALIAN! I was asked to do it last Sunday and have to admit that my facial reaction wasn't pure pleasure, but I resisted the vocalizing of my concern since the sister just kept a huge smile on her face, waiting for the, "Si, OK", she hoped would come.
I decided that I would just have to do my best and not let myself worry too much about it. I was amazed how little I worried this past week, and how often little whispering ideas would come (mostly while on the treadmill in the early morning hours--always the best time for inspiration).
I wrote ideas down here and there and then spent one evening preparing it all. I read the lesson, about Elijah visiting Joseph Smith, in English first and then reviewed in Italian.
Wa-lah! Prepared. *I must admit to one crying break-down to my husband as I let him know how much I wished I could just convey all my thoughts and feelings in real, understandable, remotely grammatically correct sentences (I must remind myself that my grammar isn't always perfect in my own language, but...still!).
I had prayed all week for peace and the ability to at least be able to remember the words I do know--to do the best I am able.
I looked at those women (not a huge crowd) and realized that they know me and would love me no matter how much I butchered their language.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I will be asked to do it again. Not because I did such a great job, but because I have a lot to learn--it's all about the challenges, eh?!
*And you thought the title of this blog "Always Growing" referred to the boys (okay, I threw you off with the picture --isn't it fun?!).

13 comments:

Lanette said...

Bec, I just love you...your optimism, enthusiasm...your whole joyful self! Hopefully, I'll be more like you someday...someday!

Gina said...

Just had to tell you that we enjoyed the sneak peek at your family...so cute! -gina & nels thorderson

davidnjennifer said...

Congrats, Rebekah! I'm so proud of you for doing something you were so sure you couldn't do. You are a great inspiration to me in many ways. Keep it up!

M n L Hall Family said...

Becky,

I am so inspired by you, I was just blog hopin' and found yours through Jake's. This is Lory Hall (Wheeler). Italy looks amazing! Your family is so beautiful and I have really enjoyed catching a glimps of them! If you are interested in being invited to my blog e-mail me at mnlhall@juno.com, I am private. I look forward to learning more in the future. Your whole family are such neat people thanks for being you!! I am sure we all wish we could be a little more like you!

Von and Maureen said...

Becky, Wow, I am pleased that it was a positive experience. I thought that you would pull it off and do it pretty darn well. The Church has a way of pushing us and helping us to be better in so many ways. Thanks for sharing!! Love MOM

Rachel Ure said...

did you make that adorable quilt? i really like that picture. Wow on the lesson. You have been put in some situations in your life where it seems that your choice was either to learn and become a better person or cower and become less. well, you have definitely grown! Love you!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Well Done Becky! Growth indeed! I am sure that took alot of humility and patience (I mean for the sisters of the branch)... Just kidding. That really is amazing, way to take the challenge head on. Thats impressive.

Josh said...

just like you to try and trick us from the outset! i am very proud of you little sister. i will keep in mind how hard it was for that other sister to talk in church, when i think of you giving a lesson in Italian. i bet you 'rocked' the house!

Karly and Nick said...

WOW! You are amazing! What a great accomplishment! And I know it was an amazing lesson! And then I picture you on the treadmill...more inspiration! :0)

Deborah and Stephen said...

your boys look so cute in that picture! I have to say ditto to all that has been said! You are one amazing person! I have decided that you can do anything that is thrown your way! :) love you becky!

Leslie said...

Hurray for you! This was an inspiring blog to read. To know that the Lord is there supporting each of us in our growth is such a calming feeling. I am glad that your leaders were inspired enough to ask you to teach the lesson...in Italian! You were blessed for saying yes! It was a win-win situation for everyone. You are amazing as ever!

Yayi said...

Sweet as always!!! thanks for reminding me that butchering somebody elses language is not as bad as it sometimes seems!! I am so glad you were able to teach your lesson, but I am even happier to know that you have a husband who is always there to listen to you.
About the boys, what can I say? they are part of my family, therefore...Gorgeous!!! tell them we love them!

jenifer said...

way to go beck!! now can you come home? :) yeah, the quilt, i mean your boys are pretty dang cute.