Sunday, June 28, 2009

ANGIE MACDONALD

This last Friday I had a great experience with my sweet, wonderful friend,
Angie MacDonald--without whom I would have gone crazy here in Italy long ago.




We had a girls night out. It was so fun.
We laughed as my van's car alarm went off when we tried to exit it, in the middle of the Cervia market place--one of those miraculous times when you find a spot that is front and center. We got back in it laughing and frantically looking through the manual for what to do to get it off. When it finally stopped itself, we chanced it and tried to exit once more. . .yup. beep, beep, beep! We laughed even harder and seriously just drove off with it blaring until we came to a more secluded parking lot. After searching and reading, and one more beeping episode, we got it all figured out.

We went to dinner and talked, sharing our thoughts and concerns for our boys.
We went shopping, trying to find the best deals.
We ate gelato and listened to a free outdoor concert.
We bought cute chinese art from a lady painting them on the side of the street.

It was a full and fabulous evening. But it didn't end there.

I had been feeling for some time that I should give Angie a Book of Mormon. I was a bit nervous because this is a woman whose friendship means so much to me, and who is grounded in her religion--a woman of great faith and Christ-like attributes.
Friday morning I had prepared a letter explaining the experiences I had had which let me know that now was the time to give her a Book of Mormon. I also wrote my testimony inside the Book of Mormon I had for her. I knew that my best chance for a positive experience would be that night, when we were together, but without the kids.
I hate that I was nervous, but I was.
I waited until we arrived back at my house (around 11:30pm). When I stopped the car I told her I had something for her and proceeded to read the letter I had written. Part way through it I expressed my desire to give her a Book of Mormon--the part I dreaded reading (thank you, Satan). I read it all and she just hugged me, saying how much she appreciated our friendship. Then we talked about faith and how essential it is in this life.
She paused after a few minutes and asked if the letter was for her. I said that it was and handed her the Book of Mormon with it. I knew she would be kind about it all, because she is like that, but I didn't know what she would think. Her comment was, "I have always been curious about this book." Then she held it to her and said she would read it everyday. I don't know if she will, but I can't tell you what a beautiful thing it was for me to get that response. She noticed that I had written in it and asked me to read that, too. I did, and after she just hugged me again.
The night ended--no awkwardness.
I felt a surge of joy at the decision I had made and followed through with. I don't know what she will do with that book, but she knows how I feel about it. And the whole experience confirmed my love for the full gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

*p.s. I taught another lessons in RS today, and it went even better than before--I understood almost every comment, and even went off of my script a bit. yeah

4 comments:

Josh said...

Angie is Awesome! we enjoyed the time we spent with those guys. that took some serious courage, but you have always been courageous in my mind. way to represent little sister! how great shall be your reward.

Rachel Ure said...

what a beautiful post- in many ways. the picture is just so alive and you two look like flowers blooming! I could visualize your eventuful evening and i love that you have such a good friend to help you out there. So glad that you had a chande to share your love of the BOM. thanks for sharing sis

Lanette said...

That was awesome, Rebekah...you are such an example to me. Thanks for sharing that. I need to pray for more of those experiences here, in little Rexburg. Thanks for the uplift...I'm so proud of you:). Oh, and congrats on your successful lesson. What an accomplishment. Fabuloso. Love you!

Von and Maureen said...

Becky, I have so much respect and love for Angie because I know what a wonderful person she is and how you two have such a great bond. Your example over the last years of just what an LDS women is, will go a long ways in her having a positive opinion of our faith. You two are so close....I am sure you knew each other before this life. You needed to share the BOM with her. She is one of the very, very special spirits. Love you Beck, Mom