Sunday, July 5, 2009

Celebrating The U.S. of A.

Yesterday we had such a great experience celebrating the 4th of July here in Italy.

I had decided a long time ago that I wanted my boys to learn patriotic songs and stories that we could share with our friends on the 4th of July.
The whole month of June we read stories, learned songs, and memorized some things that represent our country. My mom gave us a book a few years ago called The American Story (highly recommend it!) and we read stories from it every morning. The boys loved it (and so did mom).
The month of June flew by, and soon it was time to invite some of our American friends over for a little program and BBQ. I knew we would come across a bit cheesy (yah, that's just the way I am), but I figured if we backed it all up with good food, it would turn out great. This was our program:

July 4, 2009
*Flag Ceremony and Pledge: cub scouts: Eli and Adam Moss
*sing: My Country ‘Tis of Thee
*Moss boys recite The Preamble to the Constitution :We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
*sing: America the Beautiful
*Story of Uncle Sam: Gabe as Uncle Sam
*Thanking our Military/leaders
*Sing: The Star-Spangled Banner
*sing: Yankee Doodle

It ended up being such a great experience. We shared things we had learned, but we also heard from two of our guests who had served in the military and were touched by their feelings about the service they gave their country.
I read some of Uncle Ray's (my dad's uncle) autobiography--his P.O.W. experiences. We did this just before we sang the National Anthem and I was really touched by the power of that song, because of what it represents.
Next time you sing The Star Spangled Banner, really ponder the words and what they mean.
Earlier this year I taught it to my boys. As I tried to help them learn those words--not easy lyrics--I was overcome with what is happening in that first verse. My children loved the rocket's red glare and the bombs bursting in air, but they also know that those things are mentioned in the song because they helped light up the sky to reveal that the flag was still there, giving hope and courage to the men fighting for liberty!
I am so grateful to be a citizen of the United States of America--for the sacrifices many have made to get freedom and to maintain it. We are one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all. May we all do our part to keep it that way!

4 comments:

Rachel Ure said...

wow. good for you. i love that you really thought ahead on this one and made it a great and special experience for your boys. Things like what you just make me so happy- they have nothing to do with technology or money- just goodness. love it! I also love seeing glimpses of your cool house.

Von and Maureen said...

That was great Becky. You are pretty amazing!!! Your 4th of July was a great memory and learning experience for your kids, and everyone that was there. We didn't do very much at all, but did see the fire works from the hills behind the house. They were great. Believe it or not, we actually got cold.

Lanette said...

Look at you! You really made the 4th an awesome, memorable experience! Can you come over to my house next year?! I'm amazed at all the hard work you do creating wonderful experiences for your family...wow. I'm glad everything turned out so well...wish we could've been there! Love you and can't wait to see you in a couple of months! XOXO!

Dinger said...

You are a history teacher's dream!! Great idea!