Sunday, August 2, 2009

Christmas in July

Yes, it is now officially August--wow.

This last week--in honor of the end of July, we decided to have Christmas in July. I did this for the women in Relief Society and then for my boys on friday morning.
The boys and I got out our Christmas quilt to sit on while we sang Christmas songs and read our favorite Christmas stories. We made fun snowflakes while the fan blew on us to keep us from sweating. So fun.


There is just something so magical about Christmas time. So just one time a year? I think not.
We listen to Christmas music all year and my favorite lullabies are definitely Away in a Manger and Silent Night (they are so sweet).
I get all happy inside when Gabe picks How the Grinch Stole Christmas for an afternoon movie, or when one of the boys pulls out The First Christmas Tree, or Christmas Oranges, or The Light Of Christmas (love this one), etc. to read on just a normal day of the year. The warm, wonderful feelings that come from these stories are exactly what we need in our everyday lives.
Today we were all home from church (except for David) due to bowel issues 3/5 of us were experiencing. We did church at home--each boy gave a talk in "primary", and we each bore our testimony in "Sacrament meeting". Later we watched The Lamb of God, and The Testaments.
It was so wonderful to ponder Christ's life and the atonement, after talking about the joy of His birth this week.
I am touched each time I watch these films and remember just what He did for each of us. I reminded my children that He truly knows them and loves them--they let me know that they already knew that (what a great gift for them!).
So, no matter what day of the year it is--to each of you a Merry Day-to-remember-Christ-and-to-feel-His-spirit!"
on a side note:
Gabey loves to create crazy creations with our pictures on picnik.com. This is one of his latest--it is actually David, Isaac, and Gabe in the pool behind our house, but Gabe made them into crazy aliens, with a little help from mom (I just followed the instructions given me by him).
He wanted me to share this up-lifting image--maybe not real fitting with today's theme, but . . .

3 comments:

Rachel Ure said...

first off, i love the crazy creation! That is so fun. It is amazing how technology has added new ways to create and share those creations. very fun.
Second, Christmas in July sounds pretty awesome. For some reason i have this feeling that if i cheat and try to "make christmas cheer last all year" I will somehow take away from the specialness of the actual season. I should get over that. I do a fun activity in primary singing time where the kids get to spin a season ( on a twister spinner) and whichever of the four seasons they land on we sing a song from that season. they love landing on winter when it is summer time.

Linda said...

Rebekah,

I have a "Google Alert" on the phrase Christmas Oranges so every time those two words are used together in an internet posting, I receive a copy. I enjoyed looking at your blog and LOVE the clown picture. It was fun to learn your children want to read "Christmas Oranges" year round. What a compliment! Thank you. And I also think they must be pretty sweet kids to appreciate the story.

All my best,
Linda Bethers
(author of Christmas Oranges)

Lydia said...

Hey Moss Family,
I love your blog. I agree that Christmas should be all year round and I think that Christmas in July sounds fun. I need to remember that. I love Christmas songs. I sing Silent Night and Away in a Manger every night to the girls.