Sunday, March 1, 2009

RANDOM THOUGHTS on a Sunday afternoon

Do you ever just not feel as clever as all those other bloggers? Surely my life is no less eventful and my brain no less filled with thoughts and wonderings. However, my thoughts rarely come in eloquent and inspiring river flows--mine may be more like large puddles being connected by just the tiniest of trickles. Here goes...


Today I had an Alice moment--Lewis Carroll's Alice who gives herself very good advice, but very seldom follows it.

We drove 2 cars to church today so the kids and I came home right after the 3 hour block instead of staying a long time waiting for David to finish up with his meetings. The boys wondered why daddy always stays after church for meetings and I reminded them that he is fulfilling his calling. I said that we need to help him do his calling by not complaining when he needs to go to meetings during the week or when we stay after church for a long time waiting for him. I reminded them that we are so blessed to have a Dad who honors his priesthood and is able to bless us and the lives of others in this way. I know the truth of these statements and feel them, but, at times, I too struggle with happily sustaining. Something to work on, eh?


Animals in the house--pets--why do I want one? Do I? The cat is looking at me through the window right now, wondering why I won't let him in the house. This is the cat who just kept coming back and now is a part of our family, whether we like it or not. After a few nasty markings of territory in the kitchen, David and I decided that he wasn't allowed inside the house again, at least until he is neutered.

Adam asked for a kitten for his birthday--You know that they grow up and become cats like the one you already have? Yeah, but kittens are just so cute. Uh-huh. (I don't think he will be surprized when he gets a stuffed one instead--maybe we will stuff the one we already have, J/K).


Tired babies fight sleep. Tired moms can't sleep. Growing boys are never tired--just awake, or asleep (Dreamy!).


I just finished reading The Man in the Iron Mask by Dumas. I'm left in a funk. True, I enjoyed the portrayal of chivalry, honor, friendship, the bond of a father and son--all displayed by the heros in our book. However, battles, open infedelity, and ultimately the man in the iron mask left alone in a prison by his own brother and mother--never avenged, never released, never mentioned again after we leave him imprisoned for the second time--AAAHHHH! Sorry if I have just ruined this for any of you. Don't read it--it is just frustrating. I guess that as much as I love the idea of history, I'm still a fairy-tale lover at heart. Where is the Happily Ever After?

Yeah, I know, it is all about the challenges. So Prince Phillippe is probably going to fair better than his brother Louis XIV in the world to come. I guess that is what it all comes down to. We don't get to select all the situations we are put in, but we decide what we will do with it. Heard it all before, huh? But, I guess, since we each live lives in which this is true, it is worth being reminded of. I really do like a book that makes me think about my choices and what kind of person I want to be--I just prefer to feel good when I reach the last word.



Don't you just feel better about yourself when your shoes look really cute sticking out at the bottom of your jeans and you are wearing something other than a tinkerbell t-shirt covered in baby snot? I guess I should try it a bit more often.

I love a bunch of energetic boys gathered in a huddle around a National Geographic magazine.

I love those moments when you are reminded that this is the life you chose, and you love it!
This picture looks simple enough, but it was taken in one of those moments. Things weren't perfect: Eli is sick; the book Gabriel is examining is one from the top shelf about "our changing bodies"--not my first pick for him just yet; Isaac is about to trip over Adam. It is my life and I do love it!

4 comments:

Josh said...

tiny trickle?? once you opened the flood gates there was no holding back!! this really brightened my day little sister! i sort of live a parallel life only i don't have a significant other in a demanding calling, i live where people speak my language, and my cats are 'fixed' and still i make them stay outside!! everything else, i am totally with ya...except maybe tinkerbell shirts with baby snot. way to crack me up!!

Yayi said...

It is always nice to read about you and your family!! and as you said, I bet you have tons of adventures everyday!!
I am very happy to know that the poor cat still keeps his masculinity!! because the thought of getting "fixed" makes me...feel weird.
Please give tons of kisses to your gorgeous men!!

jenifer said...

go stuffed. for sure. your life sounds crazy and magical... what a fun story you're writing. i just read about your poor van weekend... what fun to get to sleep at a hotel. :) i'm crabby tonight and not looking forward to a CRAZY week-- it was good to read that this is just crazy time of life for all of us. and, as josh says, "i live in a land where people speak my language" unless you count fixen' and y'all...
love ya. miss ya.

Deborah and Stephen said...

mm, very good! I do think that sometimes it is nice to hear something that we should already know and live.. I liked your view on them! thanks becky! and I like happy endings too. but I also like sad stories so i guess I am a realist and a dreamer!