Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wise but Harmless

I read about Ammon and King Lamoni in the BoM this morning. I was really struck with the statement made after King Lamoni thinks Ammon is a God and is willing to do whatever he desires of him. It says that Ammon was wise, but harmless. King Lamonie would have done anything that Ammon asked, anything (rewind a year or so and think of the kinds of desires Ammon would have had, though at that time he wouldn't have had the power of God to help him). All Ammon asks the King to do is to listen to him while he tells him about God, the scriptures, and the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I decided that my desire for my children is that they grow into men who are wise, but harmless: Wise in education and most importantly in the knowledge of truth and goodness. Harmless in that their desires will always be for the good of others and themselves--that they will show the true love of Christ, by loving all mankind.
Sounds good, huh?
I think I needed to be reminded of the kind of education and wisdom that is truly most important. Obviously we all want to learn as much as we can while on this earth, but the most important thing for my children to understand is the Plan of Salvation and their role in it. Everything else is just bonus (it will be fun to have a lot of bonus material as well, of course).

2 comments:

Von and Maureen said...

For a parent there is no greater wish... you hit the nail right on the head. And I might add that you are well on your way to teaching that to your children. Keep up the good work. Love mom

Josh said...

I think i can truly say of all my siblings and their spouses, that they are 'harmless' in the way we are talking here (i believe there is no desire for authority, or for power or dominion in any of them, at least in unrighteous ways)We are all searching for the kind of wisdom that made Ammon 'wise' in the eyes of Lamoni, though really it comes down to confidence in the spiritual truths you have and living them, for with the spirit, all things can be known, making you truly 'wise'.. nice insights beck!!