Sunday, March 15, 2009

Remembering--the last 11 years in a nutshell

A member of the Relief Society Presidency asked me to do a little write-up on my life since marriage. It was to be a sort of time-line of major events. I thought I would post this simplified version of my life. Here goes:

The last 11 years:

*27 December 1997--David and I got married. I was young, but sure I was making the right choice.
*23 April 1999--We graduated from BYU —Eli was born on 21 April 1999. Being a mom for the first time was scarey, but exciting. * January 2000--we moved across the United States to Connecticut (my first time being so far away from my family). This was a challenge for me—I cried the whole plane-ride out.
*November 2000--After living in CT for just 10 months I found out I had cancer (Hodgkins Lymphoma). I was 23 years old and 4 months pregnant with Adam at the time. We worried about our baby (Adam), but our ward took good care of us and my mother flew out to help with 1 year old Eli for a few months.

*11 March 2001--Adam was born. He was beautiful and healthy. Our parents and siblings took turns coming out to help us that fall and summer--flying out for a week at a time. We decided that being sick wasn’t so bad if it meant that we got to spend time with our family!
*August 2001--I finished chemotherapy and life was good. We enjoyed our boys, and grew to love Connecticut more and more.

*Autumn 2002--the cancer returned and I had to do many tests and have stronger chemotherapy. I was told I would not be able to have more children after this chemotherapy was done. I was devastated.

*January 2003--for 2 weeks I stayed in the hospital and could not see my children. My mom stayed with me, David’s mom took care of my children, and David worked, went to school, worried, and visited me. I missed those boys so much!

*2003--I really enjoyed my little family, and just living life. Most days I wished I could get an energy-transfusion from Eli, but life was happy.

*January 2004--I was surprized to find out that I was pregnant. Gabriel, our miracle baby, was born 28 August 2004. He was in my arms for almost the whole first year of life—I was just so glad to have him.
*Spring 2005--David finally finished all his night school, yeah! He worked with the program in Italy and mentioned that a position would be opening soon. What did I think? AHHH! It was up to me whether or not to go.
*Summer 2005--we had another cancer scare, but it turned out to be nothing. That was when I knew that we are truly meant to go to Italy--I cried and cried (refer to moving to CT above--what a cry-baby). I had fallen in love with Connecticut and was very comfortable there. I didn’t desire the adventure of going to Italy, or any other country, but I felt very strongly that it was Heavenly Father’s plan for our family.
*August 2006--We moved to Cesena, Italy. The first 6 months were extremely difficult. Each day life improved a bit, as I became more familiar with people and the way of life here.
*2007/2008 year--The boys went to Italian school . Their Italian improved and they enjoyed it, for the most part. I still had Gabriel home with me during the day, and I was pregnant when the school year began—I had plenty to keep me busy until the boys arrived home for lunch!

*November 2007--I was in the hospital because I had to deliver my baby early. It was frustrating not to understand everything that the doctors and nurses were trying to explain to me. David understands, but had to take care of the boys and couldn’t be with me often. I think my Italian improved a bit during my stay.

*4 December 2007--Isaac Warner arrived . He was tiny, but beautiful. He grew quickly. Wow, another boy! Another miracle!

*2008-- This language! I can understand quite a bit of it, but I can't say what all I would like, and have decided that I will likely not ever be really fluent. This was frustrating, but things were pretty good. I was loving the peaceful surroundings of my home out in the country more and more.

*2008/2009--I decided not to send my children back to school. I had felt for some time that I should home-school them. Things were okay at school, and I wondered if I will go crazy, but I felt I must follow my heart.

*March 2009--Life is challenging, but so very good. I know I am blessed. I am living my dream (with a few twists here and there). I have a practically perfect husband, 4 handsome, energetic, curious boys, and the joy and peace that comes with knowing and living the true gospel of Jesus Christ. With the Holy Ghost as my guide, I can make the right choices for my family. Certainly God knows better than I do what is best, so I will try to trust Him.

7 comments:

Rachel Ure said...

wow you have done so much in such a short time. some people never leave their home town... You have had a lot of opportunities to learn about yourself and about your relationship with God and the Savior. It is crazy that i feel like i haven't really been physically there for much of your life since marriage- but i guess that is just what happens. love you

Yayi said...

Because of all the things that you just mentioned (ups and downs) I love you and admire you so much!! I also very thankful to be your friend!!!
Thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures.

Lanette said...

I loved reading that! It's fun to see all your memories...it's always interesting for me to look back and see how things played out...how we grow and change and struggle and become better. Thanks for sharing. I love the more frequent posting...you go, girl!

Dinger said...

I loved the pictures!! You have had a crazy, amazing, wonderful life. Your boys are very lucky to have such a great mom like you!!

Annie and Jake Callister said...

Wow, I feel like my life pales in comparison. Thanks for writing it. You are an inspiration! Love you,
Annie

Leslie said...

beautiful. I love watching you remember how the Lord has blessed you! It inspires me to reflect on my own life with Thomas (I too just celebrated #11). Love you.

davidnjennifer said...

It's neat to see how Heavenly Father blesses us so much as we go through life with all its challenges. Thanks for being a wonderful example and super mom! You're awesome!!!